Cub Scout Sports:
Tiger Cubs, Cub Scouts, and Webelos Scouts may
complete requirements in a family, den, pack, school, or community
environment. Tiger Cubs must work with their parents or adult partners.
Parents and partners do not earn loops or pins.
Requirements for the Physical Fitness Sports Belt Loop
- Give a short report to your den or family on the dangers of drugs
- Practice finding your pulse and counting your heartbeats per
minute. Determine your target heart rate.
- Practice five physical fitness skills regularly. Improve
performance in each skill over a month. Skills could include
pull-ups, curl-ups, the standing long jump, the 50-yard dash, and
the softball throw.
Requirements for the Physical Fitness Sports Pin
Earn the Physical Fitness belt loop, and complete five of the following
- Make a diagram of the Food Guide Pyramid. List foods you ate in a
week and show where they fit in the pyramid.
- Choose a form of exercise, bring your heart rate up to target, and
keep it there for 15 minutes. Don't forget to warm up and cool down.
- Set up a four-step exercise program. Chart your progress for five
days a week for two weeks.
- Explain the reason for warming up and cooling down before and
after each exercise session.
- Visit a local gym and talk to a trainer about exercises and
programs for young people.
- Participate in some aerobic exercises at least three times a week
for four weeks.
- Build an obstacle course that could include some exercises with
jumping, crawling, and hurdles. Time yourself three times to see
whether you can improve your time.
- Swim for a total of an hour, charting your time as you go.
- Participate for at least three months in an organized team sport
or organized athletic activity.
General Sports Requirements
Following are the requirements for earning the Sports belts loops and
|Belt loops and pins are earned only by Tiger Cubs, Cub Scouts, and
Webelos Scouts (not adults).
|The archery and BB-gun shooting belt loops and pins must be earned
under BSA range-trained supervision. The BB-gun shooting loop and
pin must be earned at a BSA facility range.
|Requirements may be adjusted to accommodate the special needs of
Tiger Cubs, Cub Scouts, and Webelos Scouts with disabilities.
|Webelos Scouts may earn a belt loop or pin a second time to
qualify for Webelos activity badges.
|Boys may earn belt loops more than once; however, leaders should
encourage boys to try different requirements and earn the pin. Packs
should have a clear policy in place about whether the pack or the
boy's family is responsible for the cost of awards earned more than
Cub-Safe Physical Fitness Resources for Kids
|Uncle Tobys - official
site of the food company, with great sports and health info from
Team Toby athletes.
|Smartplay - learn how to
stay healthy, avoid sports and other injuries, and treat injuries
when they occur.
|Benny Goodsport - all
kinds of fun health activities, games and links. Go on an outdoor
adventure with Benny and the gang.
Files - get the fundamentals.
Kids - offers the latest in health and fitness information,
exercise motivation, nutrition, weight management, and more.
- Advice from the U.S. President's Council on Physical Fitness and
Connection - links for eating right and staying healthy.
|Go, Girl! - dedicated to
getting girls and women of all ages and fitness levels involved in
|Jump Into A Healthy
Life - learn how jumping rope can make your heart healthy and
make you happy! Created for ThinkQuest.
|New Balance Cyberpark -
tips on fitness, health, running, and general exercise.
Fitness Planner - this tool from the Dairy Council of California
will help you get in gear for exercise and fitness!
- join the world's largest exercise class for children held each
May. Millions of school children all over the globe will exercise
|Road Runners Club of America -
lists races and events throughout the United States.
|Youth Runner Magazine -
read about the latest in track, cross country, and road racing for
- Health & Fitness - learn how to eat properly, exercise to
get in shape, and avoid and treat injuries.|